Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Limping around the Office. It Must Be Tuesday

I have found a new friend at the gym: the Bosu Ball.

It looks like a yoga ball that has had its end chopped off and stuck on a piece of hard plastic. According to the website: "At its essence, BOSU® Training is about expanding movement capabilities while reshaping the body and strengthening the mind." I don't know about all of that, but I do know that it's a fun tool for those of us who are sick of regular squats and lunges. I used it yesterday as a platform - a wobbly, shaky platform - for military presses and then attempted to do squats on the hard plastic side while trying not to bust my ass. I don't know if it'll make me fitter, stronger, or a better athlete. But hey - it's still fun.

The Bosu is part of my attempt to not be sore after lifting. I thought that I would be able to do more reps with lighter weights, and as a result I wouldn't be achy from the waist down for the next three days. But guess what: I was wrong. Here I am, in my cute little glittery shoes, limping around the office and trying not to whimper.

1 comment:

chia said...

The Bosu is always rather unkind to me too. My trainer chick handed me 8 lbs hand weights whilst I was standing on its blue bosu beer belly and I scoffed at her. She said "just do what I say then see how you feel tomorrow"

I could not raise my arms nor could I use the toilet without significant effort on my part to consciously raise and lower my business end.

Tell you what though, improved ankle strength is SOOO worth it and it's a badass core workout!